Thursday 10 March 2011

Lighting, Ventilation & Volumetric Experiments

Keeping the environmental conditions underground suitable is extremely important for the map depositary. I wanted to provide natural ventilation, by using traditional wind towers, similar to ones seen in Accordia housing, by FCB Architects.




I also wanted to create a consistent aesthetic by designing the two buildings either side of the wind catchers and light pipes. I built a simple volumetric model illustrating this. I located the exhibition space on the crossroads, to promote the gallery as best I could on site. The positioning also keeps the height of the building away from the solar panels to the north:


The large blocks are the two buildings - the public and private buildings. The intermediate sized blocks are light-wells above the underground reading rooms; and the smaller blocks are the wind catchers. 





I treated the site plan as a canvas, placing the sculptural towers in a way that created public spaces in between.




I then thought to rearrange the elements on their side to provide seating. These seats could incorporate light-wells to naturally light the corners of the labyrinth below:




The composition of elements makes more sense when overlaid onto one of my earlier labyrinth. The wind catchers and light-wells are strategically placed over certain places within the labyrinth. These models are purely volumetric, diagrammatic, but will help form an idea of organisation structure on the site:





No comments:

Post a Comment