Thursday 31 March 2011

Model/Photography Experiments


I placed the main site model by a large window at university to let as much natural light onto the model as possible. The lighting conditions here represent the summer shadows at midday. No shadows are cast over the solar panels on the north of the site and light catchers and the two towers are positioned so they do not overshadow each other. Being able to move these models around has been very useful in experimenting with different ideas, different orientations, massings etc. The model may lack the accuracy of Sketchup but it is much quicker and more satisfying to experiment with different forms. 

I have also been using different photography angles, focusing and saturation to find the most interesting and intuitive angles of my building's basic massing. These experiments mean that, nearer my final presentation, I know the placement of the camera for the best understanding, and the best selling/promoting of the scheme.





Selective focusing:


By selectively focusing and angling photographs, it is possible to make my maps depository look minuscule compared to Cambridge's University Library. This highlights just how large the main library actually is - and my model has helped me understand this much better than Digimap images of the site.







De-saturation experiment:  


I'm really pleased with the desaturation experiment. The sharp and repetitive geometry of all the cuboid elements and the shading of the different planes is very apparent. The grey-scale image also adds to the psychological feel of my design - the controlling narrative of the repetitive elements and the lack of knowledge people have as they walk across the alien landscape without knowing about the subterranean labyrinth below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment