Wednesday 3 November 2010

Volumetric Studies Part 2

I continued my volumetric studies by looking at the way the building form interacts with the courtyard. I experimented with intruding the courtyard space, withdrawing from the courtyard space, and creating passages through the building, north to south; in a series of six models.









The common theme was tucking the building into the corner created by my masterplan around it. The designs are also a lot more linear than my first set of volumetric ideas. However as my masterplan develops, so will my design for the site. 


I feel the most successful proposal at this stage is this design (below) that creates more courtyard space to the south but also creates a courtyard level on the first floor looking north. The three storey block on the east is hidden when viewed from the courtyard, making the building seem a lot smaller and less bulky than it actually is.


This could be the design that I develop in the next part of the brief.

No comments:

Post a Comment