Wednesday 10 November 2010

Volumetric Studies Part 4

My second pin up sheet tomorrow describes the process of the individual building site I have chosen within the masterplan. Heading the sheet will be a series of 12 cardboard models:



... and then the three designs I have developed with wooden models:


Similar to the masterplan sheet, I'm combining different media to show the whole design process. These sketches were ideas that I then chose to construct out of cardboard:


The image below shows the stepped idea (sketch above, top right) flipped on its head to create an open space below. Part of the fun of the design process was twisting and turning the initial twelve models to see if the same shape could fit the site in a different way:



I then looked at some inspiration for 'riads', internal courtyards, which I am keen to include in my design to add light into the back of the building. The image on the left is from Bogatá University in Columbia, by Daniel Bonilla Architects, which I admire because of the transparency in the materials as well as the courtyard (surprisingly) not being open to the elements. The image on the right is a trauma centre in Sri Lanka. I appreciate the simple colours being enhanced by the greenery, and the desire to explore the different levels:


I then created 3d computer models of a smaller internal courtyard, as simple concept images: 



They show different levels sharing the same open space in the heart of the building, promoting the theme of community.

I also wanted a fourth level roof terrace, a shaded area without walls, to offer great views south over Venice, so I produced another concept image showing this:



I then placed the models in the site to show how they relate to their surroundings:

1

2

3



I then created computer models and inhabited them with people to give a sense of scale for each proposal:


The first scheme created a cantilever for people to pass beneath, between the communal gardens (north) and the courtyards (south). The cantilever is very linear, suggesting direction for people below. There is a semi-roofed area on the first floor facing the gardens, and closes off the courtyard.






My second development features the first floor pushed back from the courtyard, and the ground floor pushed out slightly to create more room for the internal courtyard. The shape of the building opens up to the gardens.




My third idea uses the wall on the right as a pivot to create three floors all stepping further away from the initial footprint. This increases the size of the courtyard, but makes the building quite top heavy.




The wood I am working with is too small a scale to carve out the internal courtyards, but they would be positioned in the top corner of the models. I expect to start designing at scale 1:100 (as opposed to 1:250) in the next stage of the design process. 


1 comment: