Sunday 8 May 2011

Hand Drawing

To tie in with my early studies of fictional libraries, mythology, the control of knowledge etc I did not just want renders to illustrate my design. I have never been confident at hand drawing - I never know when to stop adding things to an image so usually end up ruining it. So, for this drawing showing the two main subterranean spaces, I scanned the drawing every ten minutes or so in case anything went wrong.

The first scanned image shows the two spaces - the study room on the left and the depository on the right. I have shaded the edges of the study room to indicate the shape of the room, and that the light does not penetrate into the corners.



I shaded in the depository in a similar way but added a beam of light underneath the light pipe to show the natural light in each corner of the labyrinth. The light should entice movement.




I penciled in the blockwork above the study room - these blocks emphasise the depth underground, making visitors feel they are deeper underground than they actually are, and hint that they are further from escape.




I spent a while drawing in bricks in the depository and rubbed out a white space between the two drawings to separate them. 




On Photoshop it was easy to tidy up the image. Adjusting the levels and the rotation made the drawing look better in seconds, and the inclusion of furniture and an oak floor made the space more believable. I looked at furniture designs by Niall McLaughlin and Charles Rennie Macintosh before designing my furniture - the aim, like the rest of the depository was to make the furniture look like it had been there for a number of years, but without making it seem antiquity.




 Mackintosh furniture designs: 


No comments:

Post a Comment